A circus competition. A tinkerer tasked with removing the losing cyborgs’ implants. Who is she to protect when she falls for both the handsome ringleader and a beautiful acrobat?
In a deadly circus competition, even hearts are on the line.
Gwendolyn Grimm intended to seduce men and women across the galaxy while working as a ship tinkerer on the finest vessels in the Crescent Star System. Alas, terminal illness is a buzzkill. When a life-saving opportunity struts into her life dressed in a pinstripe suit, she is made an offer she can’t refuse: become a cyborg and work as a tinkerer for Cirque du Borge, the once renowned cyborg circus.
The problem is, a new law has banned the creation of new cyborgs and becoming one means execution if caught. Thus, no one cares to see the wonders of man and machine anymore.
Ticket sales continue to fall as the circus announces a competition to determine which acts will perform for the emperor on his home planet—an opportunity with the potential to save the circus from bankruptcy. But the competition has deadly consequences. Losing acts have their cyborg implants forcibly removed, and those who survive the extraction are banished from the circus.
As the tinkerer, Gwendolyn is forced to perform the revolting task of removing the cyborg implants from the losing performers. When she falls for both the man running the competition and a woman competing in it, she must decide who to protect. But can she risk having to harvest the people she loves the most?
Readers of Sarah J. Maas will enjoy this LGBTQ+ dark steampunk romance set in a deadly Treasure Planet-esque galaxy.
TRIGGER WARNINGS: This novel contains graphic violence, sexual content, profanity, and references to eating disorders. Reader discretion is advised.
- BOOK TITLE: The Cyborg Tinkerer
- SERIES TITLE: The Curious Case of the Cyborg Circus (Book 1)
- AGE CATEGORY: Adult
- GENRE: Dark steampunk romance
- PUBLICATION DATE: November 17, 2020
- PUBLISHER: iWriterly LLC
- FORMATS: Hardcover, paperback, ebook, and audiobook
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
- High steam level (on-the-page sex)
- LGBTQ+ romances
- Polyamorous romance
- Not recommended for readers under the age of 18. (Please be aware this is not a YA novel.)
- Click here to read the official press release.
- Click here to view the press kit.
Purchase The Cyborg Tinkerer
- Amazon (hardcover, paperback, ebook, audiobook)
- Angus & Robertson (ebook)
- Apple iBooks (ebook)
- Barnes & Noble (hardcover, paperback, ebook)
- Book Depository (hardcover, paperback)
- Books-a-Million (hardcover, paperback)
- Booktopia (hardcover, paperback)
- Google Play (ebook)
- IndieBound – buy from your local bookstore (hardcover, paperback)
- Indigo (ebook)
- Kobo (ebook)
- Powell’s (hardcover, paperback)
- Smashwords (ebook)
- Walmart (hardcover, paperback, ebook)
Praise for The Cyborg Tinkerer
The Cyborg Tinkerer in the News
The Cyborg Tinkerer Hits Amazon Bestselling Lists!
The Cyborg Tinkerer has hit several bestselling lists on Amazon, including top 100 for steampunk, science fiction romance audiobooks, hot new releases in steampunk, and more.
- Amazon Best Sellers in Steampunk: #8 in Overarching Category (U.S.) – The Cyborg Tinkerer ebook. (Click here to view the screenshot.)
- Audible New Releases – Hot Newly Released Books in Audio – Science Fiction & Fantasy (U.S.) – The Cyborg Tinkerer audiobook. (Click here to view the screenshot.)
- Amazon Best Sellers in Science Fiction Romance Audiobooks (U.S.) – The Cyborg Tinkerer audiobook. (Click here to view the screenshot.)
- Amazon’s Top 100 for Steampunk Fiction (U.S.) – The Cyborg Tinkerer ebook. (Click here to view the screenshot.)
- Amazon’s Hot New Releases in Steampunk Science Fiction (U.S.) – The Cyborg Tinkerer ebook. (Click here to view the screenshot.)
- Amazon’s Hot New Releases in Steampunk Science Fiction (Canada) – The Cyborg Tinkerer hardcover, paperback, and ebook. (Click here to view the screenshot.)
What Readers Are Saying
Meet the Characters
- Tinkerer for Cirque du Borge with an affinity for the word “fuck.”
- Her friends—and lovers—call her Gwen. But the performers she’s forced to harvest for their cyborg parts call her the Grimm Reaper.
- Reluctant cyborg.
- When she falls for both the man running the competition and a woman competing in it, she must decide who to protect. But can she risk having to harvest the people she loves the most?
- Based loosely on Belle from Beauty and the Beast
- Ringleader of Cirque du Borge.
- Formal in his speech and still somehow rough around the edges.
- Although he loves power nearly as much as his job at the circus, he’s prone to occasional bouts of unexpected kindness.
- When he finds Gwendolyn Grimm on Anchorage, who is to say whether it’s sympathy or another reason entirely for why he offers her a second chance at life—as a cyborg? And who’s to say whether he can resist Gwen’s blunt charms?
- Based loosely on the beast from Beauty and the Beast.
- Slackliner for Cirque du Borge.
- One of the most beloved performers at the cyborg circus. In every show, she manages to capture more than hearts.
- But she is also incredibly ambitious. Will performing for the circus be enough for her? Or will she manipulate hearts, including her own, to get what she wants?
- Based loosely on Aurora from Sleeping Beauty.
Since the cover reveal of The Cyborg Tinkerer, I’ve received many similar questions. Please find a few responses to those below.
What formats did you publish The Cyborg Tinkerer in?
Hardcover, paperback, ebook, and audiobook.
Will your book be available internationally?
It should be! The print-on-demand companies and aggregators I used claim to distribute books to retailers worldwide.
Will The Cyborg Tinkerer be available as an audiobook?
Yes! I hired the amazing Kylie Stewart to narrate and produce the audiobook.
Did you work with editors?
Yes. I worked with three editors through four different types and rounds of editing, including developmental editing, copyediting, and proofreading.
Will you be offering signed copies of The Cyborg Tinkerer?
Not at this time.
Why did you choose to self-publish The Cyborg Tinkerer?
What publishing platforms did you choose to publish your book?
IngramSpark (hardcover and paperback), KDP (ebook), Draft2Digital (ebook), SmashWords (ebook), and GooglePlay (ebook).
For me, time was more valuable than the extra income I could have earned by uploading directly to all the platforms. The biggest ones (that many indies recommend you upload directly to) are KDP, Apple iBooks, Google Play, Kobo, and Barnes and Noble.
Who did The Cyborg Tinkerer character art?
The talented Tara Spruit did The Cyborg Tinkerer character art. She was amazing to work with, and I highly recommend checking out her work!
How much did it cost to self-publish The Cyborg Tinkerer?
As someone who worked in corporate for a number of years before starting my company, talking openly about finances still feels a little strange to me. But I’ve shared this information with my patrons over on Patreon. If that’s something you are interested in seeing, support me on Patreon!
How does it feel to have a novel with your name on it?
Amazing! It doesn’t feel real. Some days, I wonder if I’m waltzing in some strange and wonderful dream.