Learn the seven red flags in editing and how industry pros know a book isn’t ready for publication.
Most literary agents know after the first page (or first few pages) if a manuscript is ready or if the writer needs more time to polish their writing and hone their craft.
In this video, Meg LaTorre will go through 7 EDITING RED FLAGS.
Topics covered in this video:
- Where to start your story
- Showing vs. telling
- Information dumps
- How to weave in backstory
- Floating heads
- How to properly handle dialogue
- Overuse of adjectives and adverbs
- Too flowery writing
- Writing voice-y characters (characters with a strong voice)
SOURCES REFERENCED IN THIS VIDEO:
- Types of Character Arcs
- How to Show vs. Tell in Your Writing
- Filler Words to Remove from Your Novel
- How to Give Your Character Voice
- NEVERNIGHT by Jay Kristoff