Characters can make or break a novel. Modern-day readers often look for compelling characters who drive the plot through his or her actions. In other words, characters who have agency. “Character agency” is when a character (usually a protagonist) is more proactive than reactive to situations in a story.
In this iWriterly video, you will learn:
- What is character agency?
- What does the lack of character agency look like?
- How characters can take action and still not have agency.
- Examples of characters with and without agency.
- How to identify if your character has agency.
- A few tips and tricks to give a character agency.