Heya, book nerds!
As some of you may know, I joined the Writers Helping Writers team as one of their Resident Writing Coaches at the end of 2018. I’m a HUGE fan of anything Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi publish. For those of you who aren’t familiar, these ladies created The Emotion Thesaurus series, including the following (INVALUABLE) resources for writers:
- The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide To Character Expression
- The Negative Trait Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Flaws
- The Positive Trait Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Attributes
- The Emotional Wound Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Psychological Trauma
- The Rural Setting Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Personal and Natural Places
- The Urban Setting Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to City Spaces
Because my fangirling knows no bounds, I reached out to Angela in early 2018 to see if she’d let me pick her brain. In February 2018, Angela joined me on the iWriterly YouTube channel for a Q&A about her books, writing, and journey as a self-published author.
NOW FOR WHAT YOU’VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR…
Today, Angela and Becca have BIG NEWS, and I’m so delighted to get to be a part of the reveal.
Let’s get right into it…
Have you ever held onto a secret you’ve been dying to share, and then finally… you can?
For the last few weeks, I’ve been helping Angela and Becca at Writers Helping Writers keep a BIG secret: what the next book in their thesaurus series will be!
It might seem strange to not tell one’s readers what book you’re planning to release… unless you happen to write books on Show, Don’t Tell like Angela and Becca do! They couldn’t resist the opportunity to show, not tell, by waiting for the cover reveal. They even created a *REDACTED* cover for it, which you might have seen floating around.
We’re revealing the cover at long last!
The next book in the descriptive thesaurus series is The Emotion Thesaurus Second Edition!
It’s been seven years since the original The Emotion Thesaurus hit the shelves. Many writers have credited this unusual book with transforming their writing. This guide is packed with helpful lists of body language, thoughts, and visceral sensations for 75 different emotions, which makes it easier for writers to convey what characters feel.
Since 2012, many have asked the authors if they would add more emotions, so that’s what Angela and Becca have done. This new edition has added 55 more emotions, bringing the total to 130.
There are other new additions to the book and in fact, it’s almost doubled in size!
About the Second Edition
1. Existing entries have been revamped and expanded
2. 55 NEW emotions have been added to the second edition, including:
To learn more, check out the full list of emotions (and some sample entries) here.
3. The instructive portion of the book has more than doubled and includes new material on how to power up dialogue with emotion, use subtext and other techniques to show hidden emotions, what character development is necessary to determine emotional range so actions are authentic to each person’s nature, and more.
The second edition is nearly twice the size of the first edition.
Grab Your Copy Today
This book is available for preorder. You can find it on:
*This webinar recording is only viewable for a limited time, so be sure to watch it before the end of February.
ABOUT WRITERS HELPING WRITERS
Writers Helping Writers is a website co-hosted by Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi, authors of The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression and many more of your favorite thesauruses. Angela and Becca also co-host the website One Stop For Writers, which includes a searchable index for the Writers Helping Writers thesaurus collection. On the Writers Helping Writers website, there are tools for writers, editors, and teachers, including a character arc progression tool, backstory wound profile, setting planner, character pyramid tool, and much more.