Heya, book nerds!
In case you missed it, we have now added Twitter pitch critiques to Query Hack. If you aren’t already following me/iWriterly on Twitter (or our other social media channels), be sure to come join the fun! I’m always running surveys to learn what YOU guys want to hear about as well as tweeting out writing/editing/querying advice. And, of course, subscribe to iWriterly for our weekly writing/bookish videos that come out every Wednesday.
WHAT IS QUERY HACK?
Query Hack is a query critique platform launched by the iWriterly team where writers have the opportunity to submit their book queries and Twitter pitches for FREE feedback from an industry professional. As part of iWriterly’s mission to give back to the writing community and help writers achieve their publication goals, blogs and videos will be published periodically, critiquing individual queries or Twitter pitches and providing recommendations for areas of improvement.
Twitter Pitch, CRITIQUE #10 – YA Horror
Legend says the Fountain of Youth gives life. 16 y/o Del discovers it’s about taking life & it wants her little sister’s #YA #H #UF
- As always, be sure to include the main event hashtag when tweeting the Twitter pitch (in addition to the genre and age group hashtags). Otherwise, agents/editors won’t be able to see your pitch.
- First, I LOVE this story concept. It’s a really fun twist on the Fountain of Youth.
- Depending on the contest, you may be allowed the full 280 characters for your pitch. If you have to keep the pitch to 140 characters, you could certainly leave it as is. However, my key concerns with this pitch is setting—where does this story take place? You have a fantastically intriguing concept, but I feel uncertain if we’re in another fantasy world or on Earth (though the #UF hashtag implies this is on Earth).
- You may also want to hint at why the Fountain wants her sisters, depending on the amount of space you have and how in-depth of an explanation that will require.
- All in all, this is a solid pitch! Very minor suggestions today. Great job!